SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS FOR FORKS OVER KNIVES
Go to the Learning Guide for this film.
Additional Discussion Questions
Social-Emotional Learning Discussion Questions
TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF
1. What are the largest obstacles for teenagers in substantially modifying their diet to take advantage of the new scientific information presented by this movie? Suggested Response: There are many possible reasons, including: the fact that many teenagers feel invincible and have trouble believing that their health can be affected by their life-style or the risks they take; the power of advertising; childhood memories that associate certain foods, generally foods that are not great for you, with comfort; the fact that our bodies are programmed to love fat, salt and sugar; traditional ways of eating.
Moral-Ethical Emphasis Discussion Questions (Character Counts)
Discussion Questions Relating to Ethical Issues will facilitate the use of this film to teach ethical principles and critical viewing. Additional questions are set out below.
(Do what you are supposed to do; Persevere: keep on trying!; Always do your best; Use self-control; Be self-disciplined; Think before you act -- consider the consequences; Be accountable for your choices)
See Question under "Social Emotional Learning".
4. Have students, either alone or in groups, research one of the following questions on which the movie takes a positions.
- The Forks Over Knives diet can control Type-II Diabetes without medication;
- The Forks Over Knives diet can arrest and reverse atherosclerosis;
- The Forks Over Knives diet will help prevent cancer;
Students should be required to present their results through a class presentation or in a research paper.
5. Investigate the menu at your school for a period of one week. Determine what may be eaten that would fit into an accepted menu promoted by Forks Over Knives. Write a letter to your school cafeteria that suggests, or demands, change and call for a time-line to put the new practices into effect. You may want to interview the cafeteria manager in order to fully understand the back story behind school menus.
6. Write a diary that includes the food choices you make for one week. Determine whether or not you are on the road to heart disease, diabetes or cancer from this one-week analysis of your eating habits. At the end of the diary, review your diet choices and determine where and when you may have been able to make changes that might help diminish the problems of habit, convenience or family patterns that have led to your diet choices.
Bridges to Reading:
Links to the Internet:
Selected Awards, Cast and Director:
Selected Awards: None.
Featured Actors: Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., Dr. Neal Barnard, Rip Esselstyn,
Director: Lee Fulkerson.
Common Core State Standards that can be Served by this Learning Guide
(Anchor Standards only)
Multimedia: Anchor Standard #7 for Reading (for both ELA classes and for History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Classes). (The three Anchor Standards read: "Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media, including visually and quantitatively as well as in words.") CCSS pp. 35 & 60. See also Anchor Standard # 2 for ELA Speaking and Listening, CCSS pg. 48.
Reading: Anchor Standards #s 1, 2, 7 and 8 for Reading and related standards (for both ELA classes and for History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Classes). CCSS pp. 35 & 60.
Writing: Anchor Standards #s 1 - 5 and 7- 10 for Writing and related standards (for both ELA classes and for History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Classes). CCSS pp. 41 & 63.
Speaking and Listening: Anchor Standards #s 1 - 3 (for ELA classes). CCSS pg. 48.
Not all assignments reach all Anchor Standards. Teachers are encouraged to review the specific standards to make sure that over the term all standards are met.
In addition to websites which may be linked in the Guide and selected film reviews listed on the Movie Review Query Engine, the following resources were consulted in the preparation of this Learning Guide:
Spread the GOOD NEWS about