Suggested Answers to Discussion Questions for
Learning Guide to THE GODS MUST BE CRAZY
1. Standard Questions Suitable for Any Film
2. Why did the white people seem uneducated and stupid to Xi? Suggested Response: Xi thought whites were uneducated and stupid because whites did not know how to survive in his environment.
3. Why did the bottle have a bad effect on Bushman society? Suggested Response: Before the bottle came, everything was shared among the Bushmen. But the bottle was unique and thought to be a gift from the gods. Everyone wanted it or wanted a turn to try out different things with it.
4. Why couldn't Xi exist for long shut up in jail? Suggested Response: He was used to living in the open world.
Social-Emotional Learning Discussion Questions:
1. Have you ever "frozen" in the presence of a person of the opposite sex and been unable to say anything, or at least anything that is even remotely intelligent? What causes this and how can you get over it? Suggested Response: Most everyone has done this and everyone one has to come up with their own solution. A number of suggestions are: realize that he or she is a person with fears and shynesses, too, even if they don't exhibit them in public as you are doing right then when you are frozen; make a joke to break the ice (try not to make a stupid joke); go home and practice and then try again later; give up and condemn yourself to a life of regret (see Cyrano de Bergerac; look what he missed and you can't be any worse looking than Cyrano); if you start to talk you may fail, but at least you have a chance; if you stand there without saying anything, you will always fail.
Moral-Ethical Emphasis Discussion Questions (Character Counts)
Discussion Questions Relating to Ethical Issues will facilitate the use of this film to teach ethical principles and critical viewing. Additional questions are set out below.
(Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule; Be tolerant of differences; Use good manners, not bad language; Be considerate of the feelings of others; Don't threaten, hit or hurt anyone; Deal peacefully with anger, insults and disagreements)
1. Does the culture of the San people appear to be deserving of your respect? Who has the right to answer that question, the San people or foreigners? Suggested Response: People must answer this question on their own. But it is clear that the culture of the San people deserves respect. They know how to live in a harsh environment in which most other peoples of the world would quickly perish. They are also deserving of respect because they are people. We cannot sit in judgment of an entire culture.
2. Do you feel that after seeing this film you have more respect for the San people? Why? Suggested Response: See response to preceding question.
3. Who is better able to function in a desert environment, the San people or "the heavy people" with all our technology? Suggested Response: Obviously, it is the San.
Last updated December 15, 2007.
Spread the GOOD NEWS about