Copy and pass out to the class one of the many news articles describing the death of young Aitzaz Hasan. Click here for the New York Times article of January 10, 2014.
After the class has read the article, assign one of the following:
Quickwrites and short assignments
- What does the death of young Aitzaz Hasan mean to you?
- Do you agree that Aitzaz Hasan is a hero? What do you mean by hero?
- Compare the contributions to Pakistan of Aitzaz Hasan and Malala Yousafzai.
- Write a letter to Hasan's father.
- Write a letter to Hasan's brother.
- Write a letter to Hasan's mother.
- Two people died in this incident. Write a letter to a member of the family of the bomber.
The letters can be sent c/o the Embassy of Pakistan, 3517 International Ct NW, Washington, DC 20008.
Students can be assigned to write essays on the topics described in the first, second and third shorter assignments and on the following topics:
- What is the Presidential Medal of Freedom? What is it's Congressional Counterpart? If Aitzaz Hasan had been a student at your school and saved it from a suicide bomber, do you think that he should be awarded one of the medals?
- Research and describe the Taliban's war on education in Pakistan.
- Research and describe the conflicts in modern-day Pakistan between the Sunni and Shia sects of Islam and describe how that conflict may have contributed to the incident in which Aitzaz died.