Symbiosis and Predation in the World of Insects
— Using Film Clips From Microcosmos
Subject: Science/Biology (Symbiosis & Predation; Ants, Aphids, & Ladybugs)
Ages: 5+; Elementary - High School
Length: Film Clips: 25 minutes; Lesson:one 45 - 55 minute class period.
Excerpts from the Complete Snippet Lesson Plan
Learner Outcomes/Objectives: Students will understand and retain striking images of symbiosis and predation in the world of insects.
Rationale: Symbiosis and predation are important concepts of biology. Seeing them in action will help students understand and remember these concepts.
Description of the Film Clips: This Snippet Lesson Plans contains four examples of symbiosis and predation in the insect world: (1) bees pollinating plants; the stamens of the flowers actually move to deposit pollen onto the bees; (2) a ladybug that is eating aphids is driven away by the ant which tends the aphids; the ant then strokes the aphids and harvests their honeydew; (3) grasshoppers are caught and eaten by a spider; (4) flying insects are caught by carnivorous plants.
USING THE FILM CLIPS IN THE CLASSROOM
1. Review the clips and to make sure they are suitable for the class. Review the Lesson Plan and decide how to present it to the class, making any necessary modifications.
2. Retrieve from the Internet the additional film segments and photographs recommended below. Determine which are appropriate for the classes which will see the snippet.
Step by Step
1. Tell students that this class will be about symbiosis and predation. For students in the lower grades, define those terms. Tell students in the lower grades or elicit from class discussion the facts that bees pollinate more than flowers and that much of our food depends upon bees pollinating fruit trees, vegetable plants, and beans. Ask students to think about what the world would be like without oranges, apples, tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables.
[The Snippet Lesson Plan then contains suggestions for introductions and conclusions for each film clip and interesting supplemental materials containing interesting examples of symbios.]
2. Start playing the film from DVD Scene 1. TWM recommends playing the film . . . .
TeachWithMovies.com's Movie Lesson Plans and Learning Guides are used by thousands of teachers in their classrooms to motivate students. They provide background and discussion questions that lead to fascinating classes. Parents can use them to supplement what their children learn in school.
Each film recommended by TeachWithMovies.com contains lessons on life and positive moral messages. Our Guides and Lesson Plans show teachers how to stress these messages and make them meaningful for young audiences.
Snippet Lesson Plans are based on short subjects or film clips. They are ideal for classroom use because the video segments are less than 40 minutes in length.
Some Snippet LPs simply identify film clips and Internet resources. Others are complete lesson plans with introductions, handouts, discussion questions, and summative assessments.
Each TWM Snippet Lesson Plan Contains:
- Learner Outcomes/Objectives
- Exact Location of the Clip in the Movie, Film or Video
- Step-by-Step Instructions for Using the Clip in the Classroom
Learning Guides help teachers develop or improve their own lesson plans to maximize students' classroom experience. Many also feature introductions, handouts, and summative assessments.
Learning Guides Feature the Following Sections:
- Possible Problems
- Helpful Background
- Building Vocabulary
- Discussion Questions
- Links to Internet
- Bridges to Reading
- Assignments & Projects
$1 per month ($11.99 per year) for
Lesson Plans and Learning Guides to hundreds of films.
SUPPLEMENT SCHOOL CURRICULUM!
PROMOTE SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL LEARNING!
More suggestions about the beneficial use of movies in the classroom and to supplement curricula are added on a regular basis!
The film clips selected from Microsmos provide students withinteresting examples of symbiosis in the world of insects.
A subscription to TeachWithMovies.com will give teachers access to 350 Snippet Lesson Plans, Learning Guides, and Movie Lesson Plans. Subscribe Today and inspire your classroom with TWM's Snippet Lesson Plan on Symbiosis and Predation in the World of Insects Using Film Clips From Microcosmo
Already a Member? Login Here